I’ve been dying to make some hand pies for a while after seeing so many on Pinterest. I finally got the opportunity last night when I realized I had excess pie crust.
After dreaming of chicken pot pie for the last week, I caved and bought some frozen pre-made pie crust from Trader Joe’s. My pie pan ended up being smaller than 10 inches, so I had just a little extra dough – enough to make 2 small hand pies for dessert. While my pot pie was in the oven, I rerolled the dough and cut them into small circles. I used whatever I had on hand to make a simple and delicious filling: strawberries and Nutella.
1 package of premade pie crusts (I used the frozen Trader Joe’s pie crust)
1 container of strawberries
1 jar of Nutella
Egg wash (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut dough into circles, approximately 4 inches in diameter.
- Slice strawberries, using approximately 2 strawberries per hand pie. Place strawberries in a single layer in the center of your pie crust.
- Place a dollop (approx. 1 tablespoon) of Nutella on top of the strawberries.
- Use another piece of pie crust to seal the hand pie. Place over the Nutella and strawberries. Use the end of the fork to seal the edges.
- Use a knife to cut slits on the top of the pie crust to allow steam to escape.
- Once all the hand pies are ready, bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve while warm.
For a more golden finish, you make choose to brush the hand pie with egg wash (I usually use 1 egg yolk + 1 tablespoon of water) right before baking.